I worked informally as a proofreader for several years, before deciding the time was right to make it a priority. In 2018 I began formal training with SfEP (the Society for Editors and Proofreaders, now CIEP, the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading).
My husband, David, is a pilot and flight instructor, which means I can work on aviation-related articles with confidence that I have an expert on hand to consult if things get too technical for me, or go very deeply into rules and regulations!
My specialist interests are Christianity and science, particularly geography, biology and chemistry. I also enjoy learning Italian – I can’t claim to speak fluently yet but feel I have a good grasp of the written language. Having spent some time in Norway many years ago, I am working on improving my skills in Norwegian.
My other interests include bellringing, sewing, solving puzzles (especially cryptic crosswords), playing badminton and board games.
Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP): Intermediate-level member since October 2018
• Online course – P3: Proofreading Progress (passed June 2019)
• Online course – P2: Proofreading Headway (passed September 2018)
• Online course – P1: Introduction to Proofreading (completed January 2018)
BSc (Hons) Open: First class (The Open University, 2007)
• Level 2 Modules: Statistics in Society; Environmental Science; Biological Psychology, Exploring the Brain
• Level 3 Modules: Ecology; Cities and Technology; Signals and Perception – Science of the Senses
HNC Chemistry (Bridgwater College, 1991)
Nov 2020 CIEP conference (online)
Nov 2019 Youtube Training: workflow essentials for Adobe creative cloud design apps
July 2018 SfEP mini conference (Bristol)